GPs in the England are contracted to provide general medical care for their NHS patients between the hours of 8.00 am and 6.30 pm Monday - Friday (excluding public holidays). The provision of Primary Care Services outside of these hours (with the exception of our ‘extended hours’ surgeries) is the responsibility of the local Clinical Commissioning Group, in our case ‘NHS Dudley CCG’.
Patients who require urgent medical advice during the ‘out of hours’ period have a number of options to choose from:
- Pharmacy First. Minor Ailments can be discussed with a qualified pharmacist, who can prescribe medicine. This is particularly effective with coughs, colds, seasonal ailments. If you are entitled to free prescriptions, these will be freely available through this method. You need your NHS number (available from the surgery).
- NHS 111 - a 24 hr telephone help-line for NHS patients. Phone: 111 from any phone
- Urgent Care Centre. The urgent care centre can see any patient who feels they must be seen today and cannot get an appointment at their surgery. This should not be used to discuss routine or long standing conditions.
- Malling Health - an out-of-hours GP service commissioned by NHS Dudley CCG to provide care during these hours. This service may be accessed by phoning our main surgery phone number: 01384 884031 . Your call will be diverted to Malling Health automatically.
- Accident & Emergency Department - a 24 hr service is provided at Russells Hall Hospital. No appointments are required but long waiting times should be expected. This service should be reserved for genuine emergencies and serious accidents only.
Please do not attend the A&E Department with minor illnesses or accidents. These should be dealt with at the surgery during normal hours.
Any comments, compliments or complaints about the out-of-hours services should be directed to:
NHS Dudley CCG,
Brierley Hill Health And Social Care Centre,